Friday, January 13, 2012

Two-pocket Purse Portfolio? Pocketed Purse Organizer?

Not sure what exactly this will be called. Maybe I like the Pocketed Purse Organized better. Not that it realllyyy matters. 

I started outlining this project in an earlier post,and started working on the pattern. I followed all of my outlined instructions as seen at the previous post. 

Cut the Fabrics and Batting:  


Quilted the outer fabric,the orange-y print to the batting. 


Trimmed all those threads:


When I got to the step of sewing the two pieces of fabric, right sides together, I realized that my orange-y outer fabric shrunk a little bit, with all of the quilting. Maybe next time I would make the piece I'm going to quilt bigger, and then trim to size?


Sew the liner fabric to the orange-y quilted outer fabric with the right sides together. Noting that I left a 3-4 inch opening for turning my work right-side-out.


Ironed the edges flat after turning:



Did some topstitching:



Sewed around the whole thing to make the pockets and do the topstitching at the same time:





Finished product!



Compared to the original!




What do you think? I think that the copy cat is pretty close to the original version. I didn't include the string because I am pretty sure that was probably used for a bookmark in a notebook or something. I would consider adding a toggle or some type of other closure. ALSO... I would consider using a  1/4 seam allowance for topstitching as opposed to the 1/8 seam allowance that I did use. My machine did have some trouble going through all the fabric, even with the walking foot. Any topstitching suggestions for a smoother ride next time?

What have you copy-catted? Anything? Clothes? Other little sewed goods? Anything from Pottery Barn??



This knocks another item off my bucket list. If you are new to my blog, check out this page for more info on my bucket list, and this page for all of my finished projects! Be sure to check out my flickr page for other finished projects!

HOLLER!

1 comment: