Sunday, February 5, 2012

Pure Energy, yes please!

Hey There, 

Not much crafting (other than catching up on my knitting WIPS) going on here lately, because I am still in complete-my-wedding-album-mode. Almost done though, woohoo!

I have been eyeballing these little tasty bites all over Pinterest ...  








I decided that I would finally make a batch. All of the recipes seemed pretty easy and very similar, with the only the fruit and nut combos varying slightly. I followed the general proportions of a few recipes ... 1c chopped dried fruit to 1/2c chopped nuts. My combos were:

 From left to right, clockwise... 1/4c raw walnuts, 1/4c raw almonds, craisins infused with pomegranate, dried Bing cherries, dried black mission figs. 


I just LOVE FIGS. My sweet mother-in-law got me a 3 or 4 lb back of organic dried figs for my birthday. This was the PERFECT recipe to use them in.


You are supposed to toast the nuts. Let them cool. While that is happening, you are supposed to soak the craisins or raisins in hot water for about 15. Drain the water out. Throw everything, plus some spices (I used ginger, cinnamon, and cloves) in a food processor. You are also supposed to add a little water or triple sec so that the mixture comes together better. I added probably about 1 tablespoon of agave nectar because I just LOVE that stuff.



The one mistake I did make was not blending this mixture until it was a little finer. The more fine it is, the easier it is to shape into balls.

So then, after everything is mixed together, you shape it all into balls. I decided to roll mine into balls, then coat them with agave nectar and THEN roll the balls in some unsweetened coconut.

TA - DA!



The quantities I used made about 20 yummy energy bites. I think that I decided a serving size would be 5 bites, and that would make it about 225 calorie mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack. 
Another item off of the bucket list, yesss!

Check out my flickr account for my finished projects/food/quilts/crafts! 

HOLLER!

1 comment:

  1. Love that you said WIPS! Oh, and the treats look yummy too!

    ReplyDelete