Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Trio of Scarves

I have been knitting, a lot. 

I hurt my back/abdomen a few weeks ago and haven't really been able to do much. I was feeling very pathetic and useless, so I decided to check out my current knitting WIPS. 

I have an agreement with my knitting self. I am NOT allowed to start anymore knitting projects until I finish the WIPS I have. 

I grabbed these 3 already started scarves and finished them. 

The one on the left is a black cashmere 2x2 ribbed scarf, with a cable on the end. 

The middle scarf is a pea soup green wool waffle knit scarf. I believe I snagged up that yarn at the Big E a few years ago. 

The scarf on right is a magenta mistake stitch ribbed scarf. I have no idea what kind of yarn it is, someone probably gave it to me as a present.




As you can see in the pictures above, these scarves definitely needed to be blocked. Especially the green one, as it was completely curled up.

Confession ----- I have never blocked anything before. Mostly because I am too lazy. I have also never knit clothing before, so maybe that's why? Either way, I know blocking really gives hand knits a professional look so I had to stop being lazy and block these babies.

 (Before Blocking)

 (After Blocking)


Before blocking:




 During Blocking:





After Blocking:




Here is the Cashmere scarf. I didn't want to use my steam iron on it as I did the others. I wasn't sure what all of that heat would do to delicate cashmere.  I decided to opt for the pin, spray, let dry method that a lot of bloggers use for more delicate blocking.



I really wanted the finished scarf to accentuate the cabled edging.  I did go through all of the extra effort of adding that cabled edge, so I wanted it to really POP.





I kept the scarf at a consistent 7 inch width throughout the pinning process. 

The blocked, finished scarf actually only measured 6 inches. I lost an entire inch after I unpinned. Actually, I think that I lost more than that after I left the room. Booo.




Here is the before shot again:



 Here is the after:





Ok there it is! I think the blocking worked BEST on the 100% wool scarf. I really am in love with how it turned out. I guess I still need to work on my cashmere blocking skills. Does anyone have suggestions??? 

HOLLER!

1 comment:

  1. ok these are all just fabulous - r u going to sell any of them or keep them all to ur lovely self? if ur open to selling them tell me how much - bc i NEED one in my life!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete